I have a running list in my head of things I'm waiting on:
1. For our tomatoes to turn red.
2. For payday to come. This involves cyclical waiting.
3. For a toenail I stubbed badly in 2006 to grow back correctly.
4. For the junk mail my parents receive to stop coming. We email and send notes and email again, and the junk mail people respond, that, yes, my parents are off the list, and still...the pile arrives.
5. For our grocery store to start stocking radicchio.
6. For a sunny day, so I can hang clothes on the line. Here in Florida, I'm lucky most days. But, I still have to keep an eye on the sky.
7. For me to stop wanting Krispy Kreme donuts and Nutella in my life.
8. For an uninterrupted night's sleep. Once and for all.
9. For a grandchild. (No pressure, kids. Really.)
10. For my wonderful, aging parents to accept that their disabilities do not define them. God is in charge, and He loves them, no matter what.
11. For my pants to fit better. This is not likely to happen as long as I'm waiting on #7.
12. For the housing market to improve. We need to downsize and get into a one-level home before I fall down the stairs and break a hip.
13. For more substantial evidence that our school loans are decreasing. Every month, it still seems like we owe a million dollars.
14. For my stove to croak, so I can get a flat cook top. (Unfortunately, my stove works just fine.)
15. For an update TV movie of Home Improvement. Did Randy marry Lauren? Did weird Mark ever straighten out? What is Tim blowing up these days?
16. For another movie with Meryl Streep. Anything. Any time.
17. For designers to make modest clothes for teenage girls.
18. For someone to figure out how to create coupons for produce.
19. For some hardened hearts to soften.
20. For heaven. That's really the bottom line.
I'm not just sitting around waiting. I'm keeping busy. There are always errands and dishes and bills and writing and checking the sky and all. I understand Meryl Streep couldn't care less about my movie longings. But, oh, if she did, what a magical world it would be.
What are you waiting on?