Even non-Catholics seem to like him. He's humble and welcoming. He's not going to change Catholic doctrine, but he extends genuine love and compassion to all. Here are some facts about him you might not know.
1. As a young man, he had part of one lung removed due to an infection.
2. While in college, he worked as a bouncer in a bar to pay for his studies. This makes me chuckle.
3. He has a Master's degree in Chemistry. Our daughter has a degree in Chemistry too, so she says this kind of makes them buds.
4. He was given a Harley-Davidson motorcycle after blessing bike riders in St. Peter's square. He sold it at an auction that benefited the homeless. Very cool.
5. As an Archbishop, he washed and kissed the feet of AIDS patients in an Argentine hospice.
6. He loves soccer, the tango, and J.R.R. Tolkien.
7. He speaks four languages and understands eight. Whoa!
8. He's a cute little guy. That's just my opinion.