4.16.2015

Nonagenarians

The word nonagenarian refers to someone who is in their 90's.

I didn't know that. The word is interesting to me, because it breaks down to non-age-arian, which looks like the person is no longer aging, or has no age.

This certainly fits my dad, who is almost 92 and believes he stopped aging at 25.  He attempts to defy the aging process with every doctor visit.  He believes the next pill will turn back time.  Even though his body is winding down with Parkinson's and heart issues, his spirit is 25.  He is the eternal optimist when it comes to living.  He will never permanently leave his wheel chair, but his New Year's resolution was to return to walking unassisted.

My mom will be 95 in July.  She is more realistic about her physical limitations, but insists her mind is as sharp as a tack, and if anyone is confused about anything, it's going to be you.  She has been diagnosed with dementia, but don't tell her that.

My folks, Jane and Klinedale

I guess by the time you hit the age of 90, you are entitled to believe what you want, regardless of the facts.  That's one of the perks of being a nonagenarian.  






8 comments:

Kenya G. Johnson said...

They are so cute! Have you shared a picture of their younger selves here? I remember the picture when you took your dad for ice cream and walking. I think he looks younger in this picture than then ;-)

Rita said...

My dad is 94 and I totally agree! ;)

Karen Mortensen said...

What a nice post. How wonderful for you to have your parents for so long.

Pamela said...

What a lovely post - your Dad has a very unusual name.

Christine said...

No question, anyone who lives to be 90 gets to think and say whatever he wants. Just ask my grandma. :)

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Never heard of the word nonagenarian my nan is a nonagenarian she will be 94 next months, your parents look bloody good for their ages.

Mari said...

I love this! You know I work in a nursing home, so older folks are dear to my heart. I would love your folks!

Donna McDine said...

Your parents look wonderful! Thanks for introducing them and a new word for my vocabulary!