4.15.2015

M is for Married at First Sight


There is a reality show called Married at First Sight. It sounds wacky, but it's quite interesting.

Three couples were chosen by relationship experts to marry upon their first meeting.  The couples agreed, of course.  All wanted to marry and were having no luck in the dating world on their own.

The challenge was to stay married for at least six weeks; they were free to divorce at that point, if desired.  Only one couple divorced after the six weeks.  The show follows the other two couples through their first year.

http://dailytwocents.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/married-at-first-sight-couples.jpg
http://dailytwocents.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/married-at-first-sight-couples.jpg

Turns out, after some initial issues, these two couples from the first season have begun to love each other and are committed to being married for life. (The show just started its second season with three new couples.)

The idea is reflective of  arranged marriages from long ago.  Which doesn't seem like such a bad idea with the way so many relationships go these days.  Sometimes others who know us well can be more objective about what we really need.

You might not care for reality TV, but if you do, this show sure beats Honey Boo Boo.



9 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

An interesting premise - and like you say, nothing more than good old fashioned match-making. I'm surprised in this age of instant celebrity that two couples have stayed together. It would have seemed like the perfect get-on-TV-and-get-known things. Good on them if it works :-)

Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

Christine said...

Well you surprised me with this one. I watch few reality shows, and this was one I didn't bother to watch. I thought it would be another one about people fighting or being outrageous. I may stop and watch if I happen to see it on.

David P. King said...

A show about consensual- arranged marriage is certainly different. :)

Mari said...

I saw this once and it was interesting. I have to look it up again!

Karen Mortensen said...

Just about anything beats Honey Boo Boo. Sounds like an interesting show.

Donna McDine said...

I've heard of this show, but have never tuned in. Hope the couples make it!

Sharybary said...

I'm going to look for it! Sounds fun!

Sharybary said...

I'm going to look for it! Sounds fun!

ErraticElle said...

Very interesting. I like the idea that it mixes the concept of arranged marriage with the personality match-up idea of dating websites. I'll have to see if I can find this one. Seems like it could be very intriguing to watch. Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie