5.14.2013

Containing Myself

Something happened two weeks ago that I've been looking forward to for a year.

Orlando opened The Container Store.


If you already have The Container Store where you live, you are one lucky duck. 

The Container Store to someone like me is bliss.  In a box.  Or a bin.  Or a basket.   I love to sort and organize and compartmentalize.  It helps put my life and heart and mind in order.  No matter what's going on in the world, if my kitchen drawers are tidy, I'm a happy camper. 

My daughter and I attended the opening of the store and entered to win all kinds of things.  We didn't win anything, but we didn't care.  We stood in line with all the other people to buy laundry rods and non-slip hangers.  We got ideas for her kitchen (she's closing on her house in 10 days) and took pictures of things we want to purchase later.  I was like a kid in a candy store.

One of the best things about The Container Store is that it gives me ideas.  I love to re-purpose items, and as an avid couponer, I'm always looking to save a buck or two.  I didn't want to spend thirty bucks on a hair dryer holder, so I took a picture of what the store offered and then came home and fashioned my own holder - involving two squared 'S' hooks (from Ikea, and probably Home Depot) and a plastic jug.




I trimmed the cleaned out jug (this is a bleach bottle, but I suspect a milk carton would be fine too) to 'fit' my hair dryer, my lower cabinet door and the allowed space inside the cabinet.  I made two slits with an Exacto knife into which I slid one end of the squared S hooks.  


I cut out a circle in the bottom of the jug to catch the tip of the barrel of the dryer to add some anchoring, but you wouldn't have to do this if your dryer is small, or your container is deep. 

There ya' go.

A portable (if we ever move), inexpensive (the hooks might have cost five dollars) hair dryer caddy that gets the dryer and its clunky cord off my bathroom counter.


I love this caddy so much, I open my cabinet when I'm in the bathroom just to look at it. 

Thanks, Container Store!  (hee-hee)

Another nifty re-purposing idea: FOOD TRAYS AS DRAWER ORGANIZERS 



13 comments:

Mari said...

I'm so jealous! I love their website and going to an actual store would be wonderful.
Love your caddy!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a great idea. I think I'll be looking for some of those hooks to go over my cupboard door now. We don't have a container store here but I'll be on the lookout for one!

Rita said...

Those are my favorite ideas! Where you can see something someplace and think of a way to do it with recycling and/or much cheaper. Congrats! I'd be looking at it, too.
No container store here. I have only seen it (I think) online. But I'd be in seventh heaven!!!

Pam Williams said...

Great idea, Mare! I love tips like this.
Pam at 2 Encourage

Jen Forbes said...

I love that!

You know what? I made a clothespin holder out of a chinese food container the other day...we're sisters I think!

in the coop said...

I've never been to the Container store. Shoot, I've never been to Ikea either. I limit myself to the south side of Indy, and there isn't much here.
Clever girl you are, making your own containers.

Juli said...

I am so glad I don't have one of those stores by me. I am forever organizing things... it's a problem really. :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Well, aren't you clever? Good job!

Marianne said...

Hair dryer holder = GENIUS. Please keep posting new ideas. I am a moron and can never come up with this stuff on my own (which explains why my hairdryer is on the floor in the bathroom next to a towel).

Stacey Lozano said...

Ikea is the same way. I love hacking their ideas when I can. This is wonderful and I wonder if my door is long enough to do this.... where is that measuring tape?

Jo-Anne Meadows said...

I have never heard of The Container Store but it sounds great

Paula said...

I wish we had a store like this. But I like your DIY So cool

SweetMarie said...

I live in Orlando and have never heard of this store! I bet it has great stuff!