In and Out (ITWW #5)


Into the Word Wednesday was created by these inspirational women.  Check out their links and join in if you'd like! 
                                   Falen and Laura at Upward, not Inward
Sarah at Fontenot Four
Becky at Tales For Ashes

 ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    

I took my 89 year-old dad to the ER this morning.  He fell out of his wheel chair Sunday afternoon and landed on his left side.  He rested yesterday, but this morning, his shoulder was really hurting.  I tried to get an appointment with his primary care doc, so we could get an order for an X-ray.

No go.  It's a policy of Dad's doc that when an elderly person in an ALF falls, they have to go to the ER.   Neither Dad nor I wanted to go through the ER, as it takes hours to get seen, and Dad almost always ends up being admitted.  He has several health issues, and I think the ER docs are understandably cautious.

But, it was our only option, so I grabbed several issues of Time magazine, and we drove to the ER.  

Amazingly, Dad was placed in a room within ten minutes.   Before the nurse had completed her paperwork, a physician walked in.  She got Dad's story, examined him and ordered some X-rays.  I hadn't even opened my first magazine.

As soon as the doc left, a tech appeared to take blood and then wheeled Dad to radiology.  I thought, are we at the right hospital?  Am I dreaming?

While Dad was gone, I read two articles in Time - a story on the economy, and a Gabby Douglas profile.  What a darling young woman. 

Within twenty minutes, the doc returned with good news - no broken bones, no head trauma.  Coumadin was a little low.  Follow up with the primary physician on that.  Thanks for stopping in, good luck, and see ya.

Dad was wheeled back in, and I helped him redress.   We chatted for ten minutes before the discharge nurse appeared.  Dad signed two papers, and we were ready to go.

As I walked outside to pull the car up to the entrance, I thought, it's only been two hours from start to finish.  In and out of the ER in two hours.  In the history of the universe, this has never happened.  A news team should be here. 

On the ride home, Dad and I marveled at the experience. 

1.  A two-hour ER visit; no broken bones (just a contusion); no internal bleed; no admission papers; no hospital food.  
2.  Kind, efficient medical personnel; no waiting, no waiting, no waiting.

Dad and I decided Tuesday morning was the ideal time to visit the ER.

On this Into the Word Wednesday, I wanted to share my perfect ER experience and thank God for the ride.  Two Wednesdays ago, I was in the dumps and wrote a gripey post.

But, I know this - God wasn't with us any less two weeks ago than He was today.  He wasn't blessing me any more today than He was two weeks ago.   His love and guidance are constant.  They are not based on circumstances.  I just lose sight of that when the world throws me a curve ball.  Because, in the flesh, I'm wobbly and easily distracted.  Life can knock me over like a twig.  And Dad, too, apparently.

This morning, for whatever reason, there were no curve balls.   And I thank God for that.

Dad and me last year


Mari said...

That's a rare ER visit! Glad it went well and your Dad was ok.
Thanks for the reminder that God is always with me. I know that in my head, but like you sometimes feel he is more "there" at certain times.

Kenya G. Johnson said...

I'm so glad your dad didn't get hurt when he fell. The ER story is a miracle story in itself. I've sat in the doc office way longer than that as a walk-in. Love the photo of you two.

Melanie said...

Here's to not having curve balls sometimes!

Tamera Brose said...

There should have been a news team. Not even a doctor's office visit goes that smoothly. Glad that everything seems to be okay.

Lynn Proctor said...

"morning by morning new mercies i see"--so happy you didn't have to wait and no broken bones--best wishes to you dear father<3

Annalisa Crawford said...

Glad your Dad is okay.

I was sat with my son for almost an hour at a Minor Injuries Unit where we were the only ones. The receptionist took his details and noted his injury (a swollen finger after a basketball accident), and left us there. I assumed the nurse went on lunch for her full hour, coinciding with us arriving. Anyway, the first thing she told us when she saw us was that the MIU didn't do fingers anymore - that was a hospital A&E job.... Argh! The receptionist could have told us that! Deep breath... move on. A week later, when the SAME ACCIDENT HAPPENED AGAIN we knew to avoid the MIU :-)

Blessed Serendipity said...

So glad to hear that your Dad is ok. That was so great that you didn't have to wait long to be seen. Hope you are having a good day.


Dana said...

I'm glad your dad is okay. :)

Unknown said...

So glad that Dad's OK. and that your trip to the ER was as pleasant as any trip to the ER can ever be!!

Elizabeth said...

That has to be an ER record. I'm sure we could all share our ER horror stories so it was great to read a good-news ER story. And what a blessing things turned out okay with your dad.
There's a lot to be thankful for if we're willing to look for it.

Cindy Dwyer said...

So glad your Dad is ok. How wonder when something we dread turns out so well.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I so know what you mean at trip to A & E can take ages and then some days you can turn up and get straight in. If you walk in and the waiting room is full then I feel like turning and leaving but generallly that is not an option..........so you getting in and out in two hours was great but better still not breaks, no admission just in and out......

Michael Ann said...

I'm so glad your dad is ok. And how nice to have things go so smoothly at the ER!

Tina said...

What a great reminder of God's faithfulness. I'm having myself a little pity party because my asthma has decided I need a week of bedrest...sigh. It does give me more blogging time...and chances to visit friends that the road trip has been necessarily keeping me away from...
I needed this today, thank you.
Tina @ Life is Good
Post A-Z Road trip!

Cranberry Morning said...

This post brought back so many memories. I was a very involved part of my dad's life until he went to be with Jesus in December of 2010. He was a wise, witty, fun, and God-loving man who was an example to us all.

Praise God that He is constant and merciful. Are you familiar with the song 'Who Am I?' If not, you might want to check it out on YouTube - by Casting Crowns. It sums it all up. We have an amazing God who knows our weakness and yet loves us.

Great photo of you and your dad. I hope you have many more good times together and not many of them involving the ER.

Marie said...

Glad your dad is okay. That is such a nice pic of the two of you. :) You look so much like your dad. Have a great weekend!

Danielle L Zecher said...

Glad your dad is alright. That's a great picture of the two of you. You both look so happy.

Misha Gerrick said...

I'm so glad to hear everything went well.

God truly is good.

Have a great weekend!

Empty Nest Insider said...

That truly was a remarkable ER experience! I'm glad that your dad didn't suffer any serious injuries. You were smart not to take any chances, and he's lucky to have you. Try to remember to take care of yourself too. Julie

Emmy said...

That is really a tender mercy and nice blessing- and yes God is aware and there even when those tender mercies don't shine through as much