Happy Birthday, America!
A few years ago, we received this homemade card from our son and daughter-in-law. Both of their fathers were Air Force career men, so they remember the sacrifices that military families make.
I pray, as a nation, we never forget the men and women who have served and sacrificed for this imperfect, but still the best, country on the planet. It's true that freedom isn't free. Today, because of those who have served, we can:
1. Grill and burn as many hot dogs as we want.
2. Fight over the last corn-on-the-cob.
3. Pellet each other with water balloons.
4. Drink too much beer.
5. Display the American flag on our property.
6. Own property.
7. Enjoy all kinds of red-white-and-blue Jello salads.
8. Raise the water bill by running through the sprinkler all afternoon.
9. Follow the town parade down the street.
10. Write our name in the dark with sparklers.
11. Spend too much money on firecrackers.
12. Annoy our neighbors with firecrackers.
13. Injure ourselves with firecrackers.
14. Sing America, the Beautiful.
15. Spit watermelon seeds at each other.
17. Argue over whom to vote for.
18. Enjoy the DVD John Adams, the excellent (originally HBO) mini-series.
19. Make a patriotic pinwheel out of a paper plate, a pencil, and a thumb tack.
20. Remember that we are all created equal.
Have a patriotic day!