6.09.2011

A Disheartening Phone Call


I continue to be amazed at how many curve balls can come our way in one week. 

Mom fell six days ago.  When I took her out for her thyroid ultrasound this morning, she moved her leg with a little more ease and told me she thought it was just now doing better.

Fifteen minutes ago, the wonderful Dr. R's nurse called to tell me that Mom has a compression fracture in her back.  I am shocked.

I don't know why the first hospital X-ray didn't show that.  I can't remember now what they took films of; maybe they did not X-ray this part of the back.  Maybe they did, and the radiologist missed it.  

No wonder Mom has had such pain off and on this week. 

Dr. R's nurse is going to call me back ASAP with the name of an orthopod who might do a vertebroplasty, where cement is injected into the spine to support the vertebra.  Oh my, the things we will learn.  

Pins in the humerus, concrete in the back.  Mom will be stronger than the rest of us soon.
 
At the moment, I don't know any more than this.  When Dr. R. gets back with me with a game plan, I'll post an update. 

In the meantime, the folks got a mini-fridge in their room. 


It holds bottled water and yogurt.  Both of which Mom needs to maintain a healthy digestive system. 

And it holds a bowl of Dad's chocolate pie.  Which is probably not good for anyone's digestive system.

p.s. the star cookie at the top of this post has nothing to do with anything.  I just wanted something pretty to open with because it makes me sad that Mom has one more injury to endure. 




No comments: