7.09.2014

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Hair is on my mind a lot lately.  My own, other women's, my daughter's.  It's a huge part of our identity.  Not sure yet if this is a good thing, or a bad thing.  Or just a nothing thing.

Four pony tails got chopped last week.


From the same head.

My daughter's hair is thick and varied in color and gorgeous.


I braid her hair in my free time.  I love doing it, and she's patient with all the tugging.   She teaches high schoolers, so she's used to putting up with all kinds of nonsense.

She's going to China for a month on Saturday (more about that in a minute), and she wanted to chop off her hair before she goes, because she was told it's hot and humid over there, and who wants to be messing with a hot mess of heavy hair?  I told her she could pack me in her suitcase and I could braid her hair every day to keep it off her neck, but like I said...she hears all kinds of nonsense.

Anyhoo...she wanted to send her locks to Pantene, which makes wigs for cancer patients out of chopped-off hair.  This is the second time she's given her long hair to cancer patients.  It's the only reason she grows in out - to cut it off.  It takes about three years to get the 8-11 inches needed for donation.  I love that she does this.  If I had cancer - and no hair - I would want my girl's locks.


 
 

Whew.  A big change.  Almost like letting your gray grow in.  ARGH!  More on that in a later post.

Our girl was selected along with another teacher to teach biology this summer in China.  She's very excited, but we all have some trepidation because it's so far away.  Exactly twelve hours away.  We're not sure what communications will be like until she gets there, so talking with her might be intermittent or non-existent. 

We'll deal with it, because this is a great opportunity to teach at the University of Bejing AND eat REAL Chinese food!  She's been told they serve veggies and rice at every meal, even breakfast.  Whoo-hoo!

I'm fortifying my heart for the send off on Saturday.  What mother allows her child to go so far away for a month?!  I have to keep crushing that voice in my head.  She's a grown-up.  It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  She'll be home before I know it.  Maybe she'll learn how to make fortune cookies.

Here today, gone Saturday.  Sniff.


11 comments:

Christine said...

Ack, it can be so difficult to watch our children fly. We are so happy for and proud of them, yet still sad for ourselves and scared to let them go.
It sounds like you have a wonderful, generous daughter.
I'll pray for safe travels for her. Both ways.

Cathy said...

What an awesome opportunity for your daughter! I love it! I've gotten used to my daughter going away. This is the longest time she's been home in almost 3 years. And she's leaving in August to move permanently (maybe) to Florida. As long as I know she is where she wants to be and she is happy, then I can deal with it.

Of course, where she is going is not as far as China! Hope your daughter has a most wonderful time. I like her short hair...CUTE!!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

She sounds like such a caring person. And this sounds like an amazing opportunity for her! I'd go in a second if I had a chance like that. I sent 2 boys off to Japan and one to South Africa for 2 year LDS missions. The hardest was South Africa because I worried about things going on there. All 3 came home safe and better for the experience.

Memories of yesterday said...

Hopefully Skype will work over there and you can see and talk to her. :)

Andrea said...

Wows all around!!!!

Juli said...

Bonus Son chopped his hair off for Locks OF Love as well. Excellent cause. I asked Oldest what he would do if I was bald. He said he'd freak out. It would be okay if I was sick, but not if I wasn't. He's 13.

Funny how we are so preconditioned to having hair as part of our identity. I'd like to think I am no different, and yet, here I am visiting the doctor circus, trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Know what started the whole thing?

In the last 3 years, I've lost 2/3 of my hair... and half my eyelashes.

It all comes back to the hair. Seems you're on to something with your shades of grey posts...

Rita said...

OMG! One clump of her hair is way thicker than all the hair on my head. I have to triple wrap a little 1/2 inch hair band for a pony tail. Little girl barrettes slide right out of my hair. What gorgeous hair she has!

And what an adventure for her to travel across the world! My aunt has taught English over there several times and loved it! (But I'd be nervous for her, too--moms can't help it.)

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I have short hair can't stand long hair there is no way I would have it that long it would give me a headache

Chatty Crone said...

I saw a lot of women today getting chemo that would love her hair - it was so sad. What a great girl you have there. And what a compliment to be chosen to teach in China - yet how scary for her mom and dad. I understand! Prayer for her!

Betsy Brock said...

I chopped my hair for Locks of Love a few years ago. Very cool thing to do! Your daughter has super thick hair, too....very nice donation!

Unknown said...

I love that your daughter donates her hair. That's awesome!

What an exciting adventure she's going on. Praying that she has a good, safe, and trip. Praying that you can feel peace and comfort while she's gone. You're right... she'll be back before you know it.

Blessings.
xoxo